Growing up, my siblings and I were only allowed to watch church movies, musicals, or select Disney movies on Sundays. I grew to love musicals, especially musicals with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. These musicals were always really fun to watch and sing along with. The story line was clean and my parent's never had to worry about questionable material. As a teenage girl, I had pictures of Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in my locker while my friends had the latest heart throb.
Today, I decided to watch "Anchors Aweigh" featuring Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. As I watched, memories of watching it before when I lived at home came to my mind. The songs were fun and nostalgic and I fell in love with Gene and Frank again.
It is interesting how much movies have changed. At one point, musicals were the normal thing to come to theater, now a musical is a rare occasion. I want to instill a love of musicals in my own family when I have children. I think it's important for parents to know what their kids are watching and old movies like "Anchors Aweigh" is a movie no parent should have to worry about.

No comments:
Post a Comment